The Auction House of the Russian Federation will hold the First auction of works of art and antiques
A pre-auction exhibition of lots will be held in the State Russian Museum (24–28 November, Georgievsky Hall of the Mikhailovsky (Engineers’) Castle.
Sponsors of the exhibition are: the Oranzh chain of flower salons, the company Shokoladnitsa, the Babochka gallery of boutiques, and the company Russky Standart Vodka.
The general information sponsor is the magazine “Antikvarnoe obozrenie”.
Then the exhibition will move to the Manege central exhibition hall, where it will be displayed from 2–5 December.
The Auction House of the Russian Federation was created by decree of the Russian government on 19 August 2009.
The main shareholders of AHR are Sberbank of Russia, the largest financial structure on the territory of the Russian Federation, and the St. Petersburg Property Fund, the largest regional auction platform for sale of state property.
Art auctions will be held twice a year — in December and April. The main approach to forming lots for the auction will be their genuineness, uniqueness, and high historical and collection value.
The total number of lots displayed at the upcoming auction is 154.
Of them, paintings (old and modern — late 19th century to the present): 59 lots.
Items of decorative and applied art and items of jewelry (late 19th – early 20th century): 95 lots.
The most expensive lot is the painting “The Calm” by Ivan Aivazovsky — 24–27 million rubles
A catalogue with a full list of lots up for sale can be found on the site of the Auction House of the Russian Federation, in the “Art” section.
Top lots of the auction on 9 December
I.K. Aivazovsky. Painting “The Calm”. Canvas, oil. 47*75.5 cm. 1887. Expert findings of State Russian Museum and the All-Russian artistic scholarly restoration center named for I.E. Grabar
The canvas has confirmation of authenticity by several respected specialists on the master’s work, and is recommended by them for inclusion in a collection of museum level.
N.N. Dubovsky. Painting “Diggers. Construction of the railroad”.
This is one of the few well-known genre scenes by the famous landscape painter.
The painting was displayed at the 35th exhibition of the peredvizhniki. When Lev Tolstoy saw it, he said: “That’s a good work. These are the paintings that should be used to arouse people’s conscience”. The painting came into the family of the present owners in the 1920s.
A spear with a moonstone from the Faberge workshop. On some items (around 15% of the total number of items manufactured), Faberge put a special inventory number. This was given to works made to special order, which were not intended for sale in shops. The number on the spear allowed specialists to look in the archives for the account of the Faberge firm, which was written out in the name of the Great Princess Ksenia Alexandrovna, the sister of Nicholas II.
Seal of Empress Maria Fyodorovna (sister of Alexander III)
In the archive, financial documents have been preserved of Empress Maria Fyodorovna, where an account of the Faberge firm was found showing that she purchased the seal on 31 December 1907 for 135 rubles.
The beloved Empress of Russia
She was called the Little Empress of a Large country.
Maria Fyodorovna, the wife of Emperor Alexander III, was a small, charming woman, but when she entered the room, it was always clear who was in charge. Little Dagmar, the Danish princess.
Alexander III wrote in his diary: “May God grant everyone a wife like mine, and then everyone could be calm and happy”.
If disagreements did take place between the couple, they were quite insignificant, and quickly ended in reconciliation. For example, because of the dances that Maria Fyodorovna loved — she sometimes danced at balls until she could no longer stand up — while her husband preferred to smoke and have conversations in the company of men. There were times when Alexander Alexandrovich (when he was already the emperor) took the conductor’s baton from the Kapelmeister, to stop the music and end a lengthy evening of dancing.
She was always in charge at the court. All of Russia loved her, people wrote her letters and always received replies. She was a great woman.
The people loved Maria Fyodorovna just as strongly as they disliked Alexander Fyodorovna, the wife of Nicholas II.
She was a legislator of fashion. And if she bought from Faberge, then so did the entire court.
She was distinguished for her excellent taste.
And so the seal that is on display at our auction stands out for its simplicity and exquisiteness.
Only Maria Fyodorovna with her artistic taste could choose such a wonderful item.
The triptych “The Descent of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles” (central section), with the Great Martyr St. Varvara and St. Peter, Moscow Metropolitan on the sides.
Tempera, painting on metal, silver.
Painting by Palekh craftsmen. The triptych is of historical, cultural and artistic value as a rare monument of Russian church art that combines the traditions of Palekh icon-painting and the national romantic modern style.
27 х 35 cm
6 000 000–7 500 000 rubles
200 000–250 000 c.u.
Ladle in the form of a palm with a handle in the form of a stylized figure of a dragon, work by craftsman Fyodor Ryukert
Silver of grade 88.
Decorated with a miniature from the original of Vasnetsov. A unique monument of decorative applied art in the neo-Russian style.
3 000 000–3 600 000 rubles
100 000–120 000 c.u.
Lots with the most interesting history
Lot № 150
Decorative medallion “In memory of the miraculous rescue of the Tsar’s family on 17 October 1888”.
Cast iron, founding, painting.
Kusinsky cast iron and iron factory. Casting based on the model of A.A. Grilikhes in 1888 from the reverse side of the memorial medal "In memory of the miraculous rescue of the Tsar's family on 17 October 1888 at Borki station", based on the drawing by academic V.P. Vereshchagin.
The story of the creation of the medal is linked with the crash of the imperial train, which took place at 2:14 p.m. 17 October 1888 on the 295th kilometer of the Kursk-Kharkov-Azov railway, not far from the village of Borki. The Tsar's family was returning from the Crimea to St. Petersburg. The primary explanation for the catastrophe was the poor state of this section of the railway, and the excess speed of the train. Witnesses said that Alexander III, who had unusual physical strength, held up the roof of the wagon in which his family was sitting with his shoulders. He held it until his wife, children and members of his court had escaped alive and uninjured from the wreckage. To immortalize the memory of the miraculous rescue of the imperial family, a number of memorial events were held — a number of charitable institutions and stipendiums were founded, an a silver bell for the Annunciation church in Kharkov was forged. At the location of the crash, the church of Christ the Savior and a chapel were built. It is no coincidence that the preparation of the model of the medallion was entrusted to the medal maker Avraam Avenirovich Grilikhes (1849-1912), who was in charge of making stamps for copper coins at the St. Petersburg mint. In 1886, Grilikhes senior and junior took part in producing a new Russian coin, where Avraam made a portrait of Alexander III for the facing side of silver and gold coins, which was selected by the emperor himself and remained on the coins throughout his reign. For the medal "In honor of the miraculous rescue of the Tsar's family on 17 October 1888 at Borki station", the craftsman received a gold medal at the International artistic and industrial exhibition in Paris in 1889, and was awarded with the order of St. Anna of the third degree.
In 1895, based on the model of 1888, a casting from the reverse side of the medal "In memory of the miraculous rescue of the Tsar's family on 17 October 1888, based on the drawing of academic V.P. Vereshchagin, was made at the Kusinsky cast iron and iron factory.
A similar medal, but without a frame, is part of the collection of ornamental casting of the 19th-20th century at the Yekaterinburg Museum of fine arts.
Bibliography: O.P. Gubrkin, G.P. Shadurova. Ornamental casting of the 19th-20th century in the collection of the Yekaterinburg Museum of fine arts. Cat. № 84. M.: Lyubmaya kniga, 2009.
Diameter 25 cm
210 000–240 000 rubles
7 000–8 000 c.u.
Bracelet of the Great Princess Kseniya Alexandrovna (daughter of emperor Alexander III) with the date of birth of her son Andrei, with in the form of the numbers 12–1–1897.
The bracelet of the Great Princess Kseniya Alexandrovna is a unique monument of jewelry art connected with the imperial family.
Kseniya Alexandrovna, daughter of Alexander III and empress Maria Fyodorovna. Sister of Nicholas II.
She married her cousin, the Great Prince Alexander Mikhailovich. They had seven children.
Alexander Mikhailovich loved his wife very much. At the birth of each child he gave his wife presents, and always thought of something special for them both to remember.
On the birth of their second child, the son Andrei — the Great Prince Andrei Alexandrovich — he ordered a bracelet with his date of birth, 12 January 1898. The lock is made in the form of the Andreevsky flag.
After the revolution, Kseniya Alexandrovna was able to leave the country with her husband and children. She lived in England for the rest of her life, where she died. After her death, the bracelet was naturally inherited by the person in whose honor it was made - Prince Andrei Alexandrovich. Prince Andrei died in 1981. The inheritors then sold this bracelet at an auction by Christie's, where it was purchased by the current owner some time ago.
1 200 000–1 500 000 rubles
40 000–50 000 c.u.